Note:

In the interest of being better able to keep this list up to date, I'm no longer going to be posting my own synopsis/comments about the books I've been reading. Instead, I'm just going to post the blurb from the cover. To be honest, it takes a lot for me to not like a book, so you can pretty well bet that only the keepers make it to my booklist.

Monday, October 18, 2010

54. Abalone Summer

By John Dowd

Ever since twelve-year-old Jim Martin's father was killed by a drunk driver two years earlier, Jim has been hurting. Then he gets a summer job working as crew on a boat in British Columbia's Queen Charlotte Islands, where he learns about boats, the sea and especially himself. When Jim and the boat captain's ten-year-old daughter, Julie, help to capture some men who are poaching abalone, a valuable shellfish, Jim begins to take pride in himself again and let go of his pain.

No comments: