Note:

In the interest of being better able to keep this list up to date, I'm no longer going to be posting my own synopsis/comments about the books I've been reading. Instead, I'm just going to post the blurb from the cover. To be honest, it takes a lot for me to not like a book, so you can pretty well bet that only the keepers make it to my booklist.

Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Count of Monte Cristo

by Alexandre Dumas

In a bit of a departure for me, this review is part of a blog chain for Absolute Write. “Each participant reviews in detail a book that either they love, or the one that touched them, and made an impression upon them.”

For me that book would have to be The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. I read this book in High School and I freely admit that I chose it from the library because of its length (1300+ pages). I was an even faster reader back then so long books were very appealing.

The story centers around the character of Edmond Dantes, a merchant sailor. Life is pretty good for Edmond when the story opens – he’s just come back from a successful voyage and is about to marry his fiancé, the beautiful Mercedes. Unfortunately, Mercedes has another suitor, her cousin Fernand who will stop at nothing to get what he wants. This includes framing Edmond for a crime he didn’t commit. Edmond is sentenced, without trial, to life imprisonment in the island prison of the Chateau d’If.

Edmond’s life changes once again when he’s visited by the priest, Abbe Faria, a fellow inmate who’s trying to escape and tunnels into Edmond’s cell by mistake. Not only does the priest educate Edmond in all manner of subjects, he also confides to him the location of a treasure hoard on the island of Monte Cristo. When the priest dies, Edmond makes his escape, and so begins his plans for revenge.

The subtlety by which Edmond achieves his goals is matched only by the twists and turns of the plot. This is a gripping story, not only of revenge, but of hope, justice, and forgiveness as well. Edmond assumes many identities, not just that of the Count of Monte Cristo, and each one plays an important part in his plans. Yes, he is at last reunited with Mercedes, but not in the way one might think (or hope for).

If you, too, would like to be as enthralled with this book as I was, you can read a copy on-line for free Right Here


There has been an interesting mix of books reviewed for this chain and I’d advise everyone to check them out. My fellow links are:

Lost Wanderer
Forbidden Snowflake
Coryleslie
Razibahmed
DavidZahir
Veinglory
Aimeelaine
Claire Crossdale
And the next person in the chain is Edielin

3 comments:

Zahir Blue said...

Monte Cristo always seemed like a very powerful story, not only about revenge but about how Edmond ultimately gives up on it. I wrote a screenplay based on the novel about ten years ago. Mine started with Edmond escaping Chateau d'If and ended with his genuine escape--reclaiming his name, returning to the sea, and with his new love instead of the girl he pined for those many years. Re-reading it to write the script, I was startled to see what was pretty clearly a lesbian love story subplot (involving Danglars' daughter). Another thing omitted from the film versions, like the interracial love story and the forgiveness coupled with the genuine cruelty of the Count in his efforts to utterly destroy his enemies. I like to describe this as a story of a man going stark, raving SANE.

The romantic query letter and the happy-ever-after said...

A classic novel and a brilliant review. I love both, good job Lady.
Claire

Dolly said...

Good review, and you have certainly tempted me to add this to my list of books to read. Yes, I haven't read it! Unbelievable perhpas, but there are far too many classics than I have time for. But I will definitely read this one day.